Monday, February 29, 2016

Do you ever go on vacation and figure out exactly what you want to be when you grow up?

And you figure out it's exactly who you actually are? (well, except you haven't figured how to make any money yet.) Yeah, that happened to me. I want to be a writer. I want to spend long days fixing the words into shapes and pieces that you could cut a tooth on.

We went driving through the desserts of Arizona and Utah and my husband and I talked about the important lessons in life that we'd want to pass on and how do you do that? Allegory? We talked about my novel ideas and what kind of music shop would be fun to run, gourmet hot chocolate anyone with your string change? and I realized I am an infinity of gratitude about this family I've found and pieced together into something filled with burnt oranges and sand in your toes and swings and barefoot hours or minutes or days I can't tell for sure...chasing lizards and boys and kisses and jogs through new places.

When I grow up, I want to be me.